You have rights under both the federal government and California law not be harassed by any collector no matter what the alleged debt. They must not telephone your place of work, unless you give express consent. They must not call you too early (before 9:00 am or too late, after 6:00 to 6:30 pm unless, again, you give express consent. In fact, it is tour right to request that they cease calling you completely and they communicate with you by mail only. They must be courteous at all times. In addition, contact the Federal Trade Commission or see the offer:

Fair Debt Collection FAQ and Fair Collections Practices Act tips at:

Also check our Legal Guides on "debt collection." Do not forget another resource if you feel you are being overly harassed. Contact the Lee Law Group and we will investigate at no cost to you to determine if you have a claim or a lawsuit.

Contact your County sealers of weights and measures. They are the agency that carries out most weights and measures enforcement activities at the local level, including supermarket scales, scanners and gas station pumps. In California, contact the California Department of Food and Agriculture's Division of Measurement Standards for contact information on your individual county's sealers of weights and measures.

Also, Contact the Lee Law Group if you believe a merchant is short-weighting you. We will investigate at you cost to you to determine if you have a claim or lawsuit. Check our list of local county weights and measures offices or the C Consumer guide: Are You Getting Your Money's Worth?

Contact the "RECALLS" office of the Federal Consumer Product Safety Commission for information on product recalls. And if you cannot obtain a refunds contact the Lee Law Group and we will investigate at you cost to you to determine if you have a claim or lawsuit.

There is no "cooling-off" period for used car purchases. A used car can be sold legally only if its lights, horn, windshield wipers, tires, and brakes are working properly. Most used car dealers sell vehicles "as is," which means, "with all faults." If the seller provides any type of warranty, such as a 60-day parts warranty, then you are automatically entitled to the implied warranty of fitness. The implied warranty will last as long as the written warranty, although not less than 30 days, or more than 90 days. If your decision to buy the used car was based on specific statements made by the dealer, those statements constitute an express warranty. To prove that you were given such an express warranty, it helps to produce a witness to the seller's statements and copies of advertisements.

If the used car is still under the original manufacturer's warranty, you may have rights under the lemon law. Contact the Lee Law Group and we will investigate at no cost to you to determine if you have a claim, a lawsuit, or other options.

Yes, contact the California Department of Business Oversight and see their "Resources" links to obtain consumer information about this bank.

Contact your states’ Attorney General’s office to report consumer fraud. In California, the Attorney General's main telephone number is Voice: (916) 322-3360 or visit their website

In addition, contact us at the Lee Law Group and we will investigate at you cost to you to determine if you have a claim or lawsuit. Consumer fraud is one of the most egregious actions a so-called merchant can inflict on a consumer

No, not if your shop around. You have options. Most credit card issuers used to require, as part of the cardholder agreement that credit applicants agree to settle any dispute through binding arbitration. Arbitration is a form of dispute resolution in which an independent third party hears both sides of a disagreement and then decides how to settle it. Binding arbitration does not allow the losing party to appeal the decision. It also typically requires the consumer to give up the right to sue in court or participate in a class action lawsuit. And it’s not always free; some arbitration clauses require customers to pay their own arbitration fees, though some may cover the costs if the customer can’t afford them. In addition, some consumers believe that most arbitrators, least subconsciously if not worst, favor the credit card companies because they are the ones who send them the business.

But, thanks to consistent efforts by consumer advocates, that is no longer the case. Today, there are many credit card issuers who have eliminated the clause from their cardholder agreements, and others who are not enforcing it. When shopping around for a credit card, always read the terms of the agreement before committing to the card. If the contract has a binding mandatory arbitration clause, look for a different lender.

A non-compete agreement or clause is designed to prevent a departing employee who has signed such a contract from sharing company secrets (such as a recipe, formula, technique or customer list) with competitors. It can also prohibit “key” employees (those with specialized knowledge or skills) from going to work for competitors or even starting their own business and competing with their old employer.

Whether a non-compete agreement is legal depends on where you live. In California, a non-compete agreement is unlikely to be enforceable in terms of keeping you from competing with your ex-employer. However, a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement that prohibits you from sharing company secrets would be enforceable.

A tenant history report is one of a variety of “specialty consumer reports” that compile specific information on consumers. A tenant, or rental, history report lists previous addresses, rental payment history, evictions and other information obtained from previous landlords and court records. Managers of multi-unit buildings are more likely to request your tenant history report than the landlord of a single-family home or of just a few units.

You can request your tenant history report (and any other credit or specialty reports) at any time—you’re entitled to one free copy of any report once every 12 months. But because the information you provide in your request becomes part of the agency’s database, and because the request process can be inconvenient, you might be better off ordering your report only when you know it might be used, such as before you apply to rent a home.

The major tenant history sources are:

LexisNexis Personal Reports: or 877-448-5732

SafeRent: or 888-333-2413

RentBureau: or 877-704-4519

Tenant Data: or 800-228-1837

The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) licenses and regulates auto repair facilities. The BAR requires that mechanics give you a written estimate for repairs and get your verbal consent before performing additional work. You must be provided with an invoice itemizing the repairs and the parts supplied. If you make the request in advance, you are entitled to receive all replaced parts.

If you are unhappy with the repairs performed on your vehicle, complain to the shop or dealership's manager or owner. Contact a media action line and file a complaint with the BAR if not successful. Both can intervene on your behalf. If your car is still under the manufacturer's warranty, you may have rights under the Lemon Law.
The BAR can be reached at (800) 952-5210

Lemon laws vary by state. A car is presumed to be a "lemon" if it has to be returned repeatedly to the dealer for the same repair. Your right to return the car for a full refund or a replacement is triggered when the dealer has had one or two chances to fix the car in the case of a serious safety problem, such as defective brakes or steering, or more opportunities to repair other types of problems.

For more about lemon cars, visit Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety (CARS), run by top auto safety expert Rosemary Shahan.



If you have a question about Consumer Protection that was not addressed on our website

The Lee Law Group will be glad to provide you a straight forward, no nonsense answer.